In this 3-session seminar, we will discuss different ways Christians approach origins. Examining the strengths and weaknesses of different perspectives can help you understand why Christians come to different conclusions and why it's ok to admit we don't have all the answers. We will cover all 4 major categories of views (Young Earth Creationism, Old Earth Creationism, Evolutionary Creationism, Intelligent Design).
We will read and discuss chapters 1-10 of Origins: Christian Perspectives on Creation, Evolution, and Intelligent Design (Deborah & Loren Haarsma) and the reading will be the only work outside of class.
Class schedule (these are the chapters we will discuss, please read them before we meet):
- 5/8 - Chapters 1-4
- Main topic: Methods for Studying God's Word & God's World
- Views: Overview of 4 views
- 5/15 - Chapters 5-7
- Main topic: God's Word - Interpreting Genesis, God's World - Age of the Earth
- Views: Young Earth Creationism (YEC), Old Earth Creationism (OEC)
- 5/22 - Chapters 8-10
- Main topic: God's World - Evolution
- Views: Evolutionary Creationism (EC), Intelligent Design (ID)
If there is interest, we will have an additional optional meeting to cover the remaining 4 chapters. I felt that chapters 11-12 were more complex both in terms of theology and science (many participants have not yet taken biology and I think the theological issues are difficult even for adults to wrestle with). Chapters 13-14 are more of a FAQ and wrap-up, so you can read those on your own.